Thursday, January 20, 2011

Why Do We Celebrate Hip-Hop's Hoodlums?




http://shop.hiphopdx.com/product_images/w/free_lil_wayne_hip_hop_basix_1__09301.jpghttp://urbanlookout.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/freeti.jpg
Free T.I., Free Lil Wayne, Free Gucci Mane, Free Waka Flocka, Free G Dep, Free Shyne, Free Prodigy, Free Slick Rick, Free Lil Kim, Free Foxy Brown. I think you get the idea!

But, I'm kinda confused. Why are we always trying to free criminals just because they can spit on a mic? What about the REAL innocent men and women in jail that shouldn't be? Why aren't we protesting their release? Better yet, why, if you or I, commit the same kind of crimes these rappers did, we, as a people, don't cry for justice for ourselves the way we stand up for these lyricists, oh wait, Waka Flocka is listed here, uh, artists?

Rappers do the stupid shit they do because 'we' allow them to. We praise the ignorant bastards when they do some stupid shit and call them a 'real' artist who is representing for the streets, for the hood, for the block, for us, in general. We talk bad about the guys hanging on the corner for selling, fighting, robbing people, yet, when our favorite rapper does it, we smile and appreciate the rawness of what he or she is doing. When they talk slick on records and threaten, assault and do crazy ignorant shit in video and at their shows, we nod our heads in awe. And you wonder why they keep doing ignorant shit? It's because we say, 'Hey, we LOVE what you're doing, keep doing it! Represent!!!'


Every artist I named above broke the law and got caught. Let you or I do the same thing and we won't have T-Shirts made with Free BIG CED or Free So and So imprinted on the front. If you or I go to jail, I'm quite sure we will do whatever is possible to stay out that bitch, yet, these rappers go in multiple times without a care in the world and then BET and MTV will give them a 'reality' show upon return or as they are going in, yet, nothing is done to educate these rappers to take responsibility and not go back to their pre-jail ways. If I go to jail, guess what? The chances of me getting a job because I'm qualified is null and void because I went to jail. Yet, T.I. And Lil Kim can go to jail, get back to life as they know it, get a TV show AND get a hero's welcome upon return. Where Dey Do Dat At?!?!


As long as we keep supporting ignorance and ignorant acts from ignorant people, then don't be surprised that the cycle continues and our children follow suit cause they want to get paid, be in the spotlight and look righteous all in the process.


#I'mdone

No comments:

Post a Comment