Thursday, April 9, 2009

What's My Motivation?

Over the past couple of years, my level of excitement has sunk to levels I never thought I would experience until I was in my 70s, but, sadly, it has hit an all time low. But, let me clarify, I mean in terms of music nowadays. My zeal for life is still high, I love and appreciate my family and friends and close associates, but the passion I once had for music has me wondering what's next? I don't listen to the radio, I don't watch the video shows and I can't remember the last time I WANTED to purchase a CD that was coming out. My recent CD purchases has been for much older music, classic tunes, but there is not one artist who makes me want to go to a store and stand on line and purchase their CD, even if I am getting it for free. I remember when there was excitement when an artist had a new project coming out, I remember when I would watch video shows in anticipation of seeing a hot video. Not anymore....

I was actually thinking that I may just be old, but please.... That argument can't or won't work simply because I am still young in terms of life but maybe it's the same argument our parents had. They always told us, growing up, that music was much better and we looked at them like they were crazy, but they were right! When you think about the timeless classics of Al Green, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Gladys Knight, Barry White, Lou Rawls, The Jackson 5, Teddy Pendergrass, Aretha Franklin and then even the classics of even 20 years ago, Guy, Bobby Brown, Christopher Williams, Prince, Michael Jackson, Chic, The SOS Band and then in terms of Hip Hop, A Tribe Called Quest, Ice Cube, Run D.M.C., Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five, De La Soul, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Heavy D and The Boyz and then you think, what is there today?



What's my motivation? Radio plays the same wack songs 33 times a day, even satellite radio does the same thing. As a matter of fact, I am about to cancel my XM/Sirius subscription because they play the EXACT SONGS that free radio plays. I thought they were the alternative?

But, outside of that, originality has taken a backseat to the assembly line way of making music nowadays. Let's do a brief comparison: Can The Dream even fuck with Babyface? Can T-Pain even be allowed in the same room as Teddy Riley? What Hip Hop producer can even fuck with Dr. Dre on a very sick day? Can J. Holiday even step in the same vocal booth as Luther Vandross? Can Day 26 hold a candle to Jodeci or Boyz II Men?

Can anyone help get me motivated?

Please??????

No comments:

Post a Comment