Thursday, February 19, 2009

Why African American?

Ever since I was younger, I never really considered myself an African-American, not because I am ashamed of my roots or origins, but I just never understood why we were called that and when I see my other friends of different backgrounds who live here as well, not being labeled in a similar fashion. It is rare, if ever, especially in the media, that Italians are referred to as Italian-American, Chinese as Chinese-American, Russians as Russian-American, Dominicans as Dominican-American, Whites as European-Americans, etc. Yet, Blacks are not referred to as Africans, unless, of course, you ARE from Africa. Yet, I constantly see African-American used as a description for Black Americans.

Why is that and what are your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. well i have, but since my 20's have considered my self as a human being

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of friends of different races and nationalities. Of those that are black, they call themselves black. For people I don't know, I use the term African-American -- not to be politically correct, but to show respect.

    I agree with the comment above; we're all people. Those that are negative (or worse) need to address their own issues.

    ReplyDelete